Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Thoughts on the Inauguration





I’m sitting at my desk feeling might proud. Not only am I feeling it in my spirit.. I also feel proud to be called a citizen of the United States of America. Similar to our First Lady Michelle, I’ve never experienced a feeling like this before. At least in this moment in time, I really feel that we are one.

I’ve always felt a connection to the past struggles of black people. When I was a kid every February they would show the biography of Martin Luther King and the United States resistance to basic civil rights for African Americans. I remember being 8 years old and feeling angery, connecting with those that came before me. I had the same feeling in junior high when I had to write a story about slavery. Again I was very angry and it infuriated me that my people suffered so harshly in a land we help build.

Well my friends today I watch my president Barack Obama get sworn in as President of the United States of America and it felt good… it felt damn good. I felt like reparations had finally arrived. I watched the inauguration in the presence of my co-workers. We all gathered in the lunch room and watched it together. There were people of all races watching the first black president take the reigns. People sat in that lunch room with smiles on their face; some even let a few tears slide down their cheeks. It was a glorious site to behold; I felt united with humanity not just my race.

For my grandparents and my ancestors I wanted to shout HALLELUJAH! My spirited thanked the people that came before me.. the ones that paid the price in blood, the ones that had enough faith that they knew one day we would be unstoppable. My spirit thanked those who faced the dogs, hoses, lynching, fire bombs, and untimely death at the hands of racist.


I know all of our racial issues will not evaporate in the air with the election of President Obama. Lord knows Barack is facing a nation looking for a quick resolution. Let’s not expect the man to work miracles; fore he is a mere human. But we can pray that he become equipped with supernatural wisdom, that he obtains a high level of discernment, that he hears and obeys the voice of God, that his cabinet work in an orderly and divine manner, that he stays spiritually and physically refreshed, for his marriage, the safety of the Obama’s, that he never let his power go to his head and that he always stays connected to the people.


Finally they can stop calling him president-elect… and starting calling him PRESIDENT OBAMA

No comments: