Thursday, April 2, 2009

Discussing Pay

Many people feel that it is unethical to discuss pay in the workplace. It’s understandable that most companies feel this way because it can lead to a disgruntle worker. Well I believe that in some cases it’s necessary for people to know what other people are making. How do you know if you are getting totally screwed if you do not know what your peers are making?

For example today at the gig they gave out the raises. Some came out the boss’s office with smiles plastered on their faces, others came out and pulled up monster.com. One of my peers stated that she just found out that the people two grades below us made more money than she did. Of course I calculated this in my mind and I was totally appalled, this meant that she was make about ten grand less than me and we do the same job. My heart ached because she is one of the most productive employees in our department. This girl has never missed a day of work in 7 years….. and this is the thanks she gets !

Some folks will say maybe she did not negotiate very well when she took the job, which may be true but people should be fair damn it. She is now protesting her raise and I hope that she can get it through the thick skulls of the bosses that she deserves more money.

Some people in our department basically told her she was getting played, they did not tell her how much they made, they just said they made a few grand more. Staff in our department had no clue how underpaid our best co-worker was and tried not to talk about the situation too much.

I feel if everyone knew what the other person made it would ensure equal and fair pay. But this whole secrecy thing keeps people in the dark and keeps more money in the pockets of companies.

No comments: