Thursday, June 3, 2010

Jill Scott and Maxwell Concert Review




If you have been reading this blog for any length of time you would know that Jill Scott is one of my closest friends (in my head). Last Saturday Jill and Maxwell graced the city of STL with their great presence. It was a absolutely fabulous show. I enjoyed myself and could not stay in my seat.

The ticket prices were 150.00 for floor seats, 85.00 the next level, 65.00 a little higher up, 45.00 for the slightly elevated seats, and 35.00 for the nose bleed seats.

Guy Torrey opened the show with a lil comedy. He was only on for 15 minutes and I was still looking for my seat and missed him completed. But he got a few laughs from the concert goers so I guess he was acceptable.

After Torrey exited stage right, the stage hands began to set up the stage for Jilly from Philly. Finally her stage was revealed and a REAL band began to play. Jill’s band is called Fat Back Taffy and it is baaaaaaaad! There were horns, guitars, pianos, shadow dancers and background singers. The crowd was on the edge of their seats waiting for Ms. Scott to hit the stage.

Finally Jill came out rocking her fro, oversized glasses, silver sequenced mini dress and silver liquid leggings and wedged heels. Jill took the audience on a journey of emotions; she took us back 10 years ago to her 1st album to her newest stuff. She then showed off the range of her vocal skills by doing a wee bit of opera-ish type sounds. It definitely left me feeling like her voice was an instrument and she was capable tackling the upper ranges.

Babyyyyyy Jill let the STL have it! She had some shadow dancers that left the men (and some women) with their mouths agape and she sang sweet melodies that had people grooving.


Then came Maxwell. First let me start by saying I am not a Maxwell fan. It’s not like I don’t like him, it’s just I never go into his music. But he has awesome showmanship. He elicited audience participation and the ladies were throwing panties at him all night. I soon realized that I did like a few of those Maxwell cuts.

Max had an awesome band too. He had on one of them “skinny” suits and was rocking the stage. Needless to say I was there primarily for Jill, but I thoroughly enjoyed Maxwell as well. He did his thang.


If you get an opportunity to see these two in concert………….GO! I give this event 4 out of 5 stars. Pure showmanship and great quality. If you’re mature enough to remember the Budweiser Superfest then you would love this concert experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wifey and i saw the show last night here in Seattle, Jill killed it, i mean really killed it. i have been taking this long walk with Jill since she 1st came out. I have been trying to catch her for years but because I'm a military man I always missed her.

Last night I didnt miss her, and yes she came out with the glasses on and I was on my feet from start to finish. I had to apologies to the females behind me because I wouldn't sit down. I didnt come to sit I came to party with my 2nd wifey. Maxwell did his thing also stopped his show because of some Hater ass men in the front row but glad hs showed class but the Brooklyn did come out of him.

A+ show

yui said...

I regularly visit your blog.
Keep on challenging!

Anonymous said...

Dietartectkip
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/metabolife-complete]metabolife complete[/url]
Broopsbon