Tuesday, August 28, 2007

How Did She Get That Glow .. Skincare 101
















Great skin requires a great skincare system. Finding what works for your skin is key to getting that smooth even toned skin you crave. I am not a dermatologist but I will tell you what worked for me. I suffered from acne and I have basically tried every product on the market. Years of trying to solve the acne problem myself resulted in very sensitive and dry skin. I have tried most of the acne products on the market. Searching for a resolution I tried the cheap ones to the expensive ones sold at Macy’s. Most of these products will not work for people with moderate-severe acne. I advise people dealing with moderate-severe acne to see a dermatologist. My Los Angeles dermatologist prescribed me Retin-A- Micro which is made by Neutrogena. This cream left my skin really dry and sometimes my skin would peel. However a little moisturizer usually helped with the dryness. I started noticing a difference in two weeks. My skin was beginning to get clearer and the acne scars began to fade. After the full 7 week treatment 95% of the acne had disappeared. The cream also contains retinal which is great for treating lines and wrinkles. The down size is the price. I paid $157.00 for the cream but it was worth every penny. Some insurance may cover this product but mine did not.













After the acne was treated my dermatologist in St Louis recommended that I try the Obagi System. Now this is a skincare line sold in dermatologist and medi-spa offices only. This cleanser gets really soapy and one bottle last 3-4 months. It really takes a small amount to cleanse the entire face and neck region. The product promotes more uniform cells at the deepest layer for better skin structure and balanced, more even skin tone while pushing fresher cells to the surface faster, for smoother skin, reduced wrinkles and increased tolerance . My skin was left with a really clean feeling with no residue or tightness. This products cost around $40.00 per bottle, but again worth every penny.










Now there are some products that can be purchased over the counter that I find very effective. While I love Obagi my insurance only covers it when it is purchased it in a dermatologist office. My dermatatologist in LA does not carry Obagi so I stock up when I fly home to St. Louis. California is filled with medi-spas and while they may sale the product I will only purchase it where I can use my flexible spending plan. So when I run out I use OTC products and my favorite products are Healthy Skin, Anti Wrinkle, Anti Blemish Cleanser and Clear Skin Cream from Neutrogena. I can honestly say these products really work. They contain salicylic acid, a proven acne-fighting ingredient, penetrate deep into pores to treat blemishes and help prevent future breakouts. This light, oil-free formula glides on easily and absorbs quickly with no greasy residue. It also has retinol in it to help fight laugh lines and other wrinkles. Because the clear skin cream contains retinol it can dry out the skin and may require an additional moisterizer if you have sever dry skin. This can be purchased at any store and retails around $7.00 for each product. I am currently using this product and the clear skin cream and I am completely satisfied with the results, minus the dryness.










I recently began to search for a moisturizer to wear on top of the of my Neutrogena clear skin cream and discovered Hope In A Jar by Philosophy. This is one of the best moisturizers I’ve ever used. This cream is so light and feels great on the skin. My skin really absorbs this product unlike some products that just sits on top of the skin and you keep rubbing it in until you rubbed it off your face. The product smells really clean too, it smells soap and water clean, not real purfumy. Hope In A Jar does not leave me with what I call the Sambo face ( which looks real greasy like you rubbed Vaseline over your entire face). I really love this product it only takes a small amount to cover the entire face. It retails for 38.00 for 2oz. and can be purchased on line at http://www.philosophy.com/ or at Sephora’s. Also QVC sells an 8oz jar for $105.00 and will break it up in installments of $21.00 a month for 5 months. They guarantee that the product will last at least eight months and will automatically ship an 8oz jar every 8 months.

















Now if you do not have an acne problem (or your acne problem has been resolved) try Dove facial cleansers. I like Dove because it does not strip the face of its natural oils. The sensitive formula works best for my skin and you can not beat the lather. I do not like cleansers that do not lather, I think it’s psychological , in my mind if there’s no lather then it’s not clean. This is another product that last for at least 6-8 weeks and can be purchased in a scrub as well. This can be purchased at any major retailer and cost approximately $6.00 .







While cleansing and moisturizing the skin is essential to great skin, exfoliation is also a necessary step that should be included in each skincare program. Exfoliation involves scrubing the skin with a gritty substance to remove the dead surface layer. Removing the dead surface layer will reveal the glow in your skin. It takes that ashy look away from the skin. Last night I tried the best exfoliate I ever used. It’s called the Micodelivery Peel from Philosophy. This is a two step process that requires you massage your skin with fine crystals for three minutes and then place the activation gel on top of the crystals. Once both products are on the face it will start to warm. This product contains vitamin c- this antioxidant and collagen stimulator offers anti-aging benefits, helps brighten the skin and helps protect against environmental attack, keeps skin clear with salicylic acid- helps shed pore walls of dead skin cells and helps skin which helps promote smooth, healthy skin. I could not keep my hands off my skin. My skin was soooo soft and touchable. It was like a 3 minute skin makeover. Because my skin is sensitive I will use this product twice monthly. I defiantly recommend this product. This product retails for 65.00 and can be purchased on line at http://www.philosophy.com/ or at Sephora’s.










You may be asking yourself " why is Black Doll concerned with wrinkle products and she ain't old". Well I am not in my early twenties either. Whoever told you black don't crack lied to you. It is best to start working on wrinkles before they show up instead of looking like a prune and trying to get Lancome's help. Not to mention I do not believe in cosmetic surgery for the face. However, I am not afraid of growing older I am just taking preventive measure to preserve my sexy baby.
I know some of these products are a bit pricey so I will post (at a later date) some great skincare concoctions that can be made in your very own kitchen. Understand that when it comes to a great skincare regimen you must find what works for you and your skin type. This may involve a mixture of some high priced items and some affordable items. Believe me just cause it is expensive does not mean it's the best for you. It has taken me fourteen years to find the right skincare combination for my skin. If you are unsure I suggest you see a dermatologist especially if you suffer with acne. I waited years before I sought out professional help. These OTC products will fool you with those wonderful commercials and product claims. Don't be fooled most acne requires prescription strength products and the care of a dermatologist. I suffered from low self esteem for years due to my acne prone skin. Now my skin is chocolaty smooth and looks great. The basic steps to great skin is to cleanse, moisturize and exfoliate. The products mention worked well for my acne prone, sensitive and dry skin. If you have a favorite skincare product please mention them along with your skin type so others can easily determine if their skin type matches yours.






No comments: