Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice





When I was little my granddaddy use to tell us God made girls from sugar and spice and everything nice. And as I child I really believed that, he made me and my other cousins believe that God only used the best material to make little girls. However, as I matured and came of age I began to question my granddaddy’s tale of God’s perfection. Every month magazines attempt to diminish its subscribers (mostly women) self esteem by reminding them that a size 12 is considered plus size ( WTF, that’s skinny to me), and suggest some exercises that could possibly get you closer to that Amy Winehouse physique . Maybe your man has lost interest in sex, the magazine will tell you the top 10 sexual positions and tricks that may revive your relationship. Just when you thought you found the perfect hairstyle they are quick to advise you that bangs are last season and if you are wearing them you are totally out of season and out of style. And for the sistahs 30 and over you can forget it, you need to cop that $ 135.00 face cream because those smile lines are already starting to show. And we all know it is okay to be 30 but to look 30 is a big, big no- no. I went to a dermatologist office not to long ago and he was promoting something called Lipo-Disolve. Supposedly, this shot melts the fat away in 11-15 shots @ $300.00 a piece. I briefly wondered what type of ingredients dissolve cellulite, and would I really want something that is so potent that it dissolves fat injected into my body. Lets face it, women of all colors are constantly being told how imperfect they are and there are billions of dollars being made based on the insecurity of women. Since Kanye mother, Donda West died due to complications of plastic surgery I can’t turn on TV without hearing the good and the bad about plastic surgery. Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, The Insider and My Two Cents have all addressed plastic surgery (all week) and has included footage regarding Donda West untimely death. I will not make a defense for or against plastic surgery because sometimes it is medically necessary and other times it is used to “enhance” a person’s appearance. Either way it’s time for women to accept themselves and appreciate all that comes with being a woman. There will inevitably be times when plastic surgery is necessary but make it a last resort. As far as I am concerned there is no one standard of beauty. Beauty can be seen in a person’s smile, their attitude, physically, spiritually and many other ways. As Americans we have been taught to strive for a certain standard of beauty that is totally unattainable for most of us. Beyonce, Halle Berry and Alicia Keys are all beautiful women but if you are trying to obtain that standard of beauty and your 5’2, dark skin and 180lbs you can forget about it. Basically find what works for you and go with that, because beauty is really a subjective thing anyway certainly not worth dying over.


No comments: