Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Something About Michelle


I’ve avoiding talking about politics. But I must admit I like that Michelle Obama. I feel that she has an understanding and sense of what everyday folks go through on a regular basis. Let’s face it, women are strong influences over their husbands, and if this sistah makes it to the White House change is eminent.

When you look at Michelle she gives you that sistah vibe. Regardless of her economic or social status it seems she can relate to everyone on some level or another. Last week I was listening to her on the Ricky Smiley Morning Show and she revealed that she and Barack are still a few years off from paying off their student loan debt and they currently still live on the south side of Chicago. As a person who still has student loans in forbearance status, I am excited to know that a possible President and First Lady could relate to me in this way. Not to mention, these people could live wherever they wanted in Chicago. Most would prefer the best subdivision their money could buy. Nevertheless, they chose to live close to everyday folks. I likes that. It makes them seem………relatable.

Yesterday Michelle appeared on 360 with Anderson Cooper. Soladad O’Brien interviewed Mrs. Obama and one of the interesting “bait” questions asked by O’Brien was.” You were and are high-powered, highly-compensated female executive, which is a tough thing to get to. And then you're going after somebody else's dream.” First and foremost when you are married, you are a team. It takes a very strong woman to place her husband’s desires ahead of her own. But Michelle answered the question by saying “My view of career is that I can always have whatever career I want. That's why I made these choices and worked hard and got my education. I don't question that I can go back to that job or go back to something else interesting.”

Why must she defend her choice to support her husband? No one has asked these questions to Cindy McCain. I get the feeling that with or without Barack, Michelle would still be a powerful and successful woman. However, she has decided to put her support behind a man that has the potential to be the FIRST black president. I think that is an effort with supporting.

Soladad O’Brien went on to say “But a lot of times, your career helps define who you are.” Unfortunately, for her she had to be checked again. Michelle said “It doesn't for me. I mean, what I do in my life defines me. And a career is one of the many things I do in my life. I mean, how I -- I am a mother first. Where do I get my joy and energy? First and foremost, from my kids. In the midst of this campaign, what I've done is I don't campaign every day. I'm not gone for weeks on end. I will not go on a trip that will have me away for more than two days. And the campaign has understood that. I'm not going to miss a ballet recital. I'm not going to make them move their world around to accommodate me and Barack. We have to do the accommodating.”


See her kids won’t be out copping dope like Busch’s kids. She won’t be so busy trying to get her husband elected that she doesn’t focus on her kids. This woman understands the little people, the people that make America what it is today. I knew Obama would have my vote when Michelle stated

“As a wife and mother and a professional, you know, I'm doing what most women are doing, regardless of their race or their socioeconomic status. I'm juggling and struggling to keep my head above water, because this whole balancing act that is now the life of a woman and a family has become more and more impossible.And that's true for me who has resources. And if we're struggling, just imagine what's going on with folks who are getting up, working shift jobs where they don't have the flexibility to go see their kids' ballet performances, where they don't get sick days off, where they don't have insurance, they don't have access to quality and affordable childcare.I mean, women and families are drowning. And I think that what I'd like to do is bring voice to sort of the direction that we need to be going.”

See what I mean. I real woman of substance, integrity and character. I am ready for change, and I think with the Obama’s in the White House……………. as Sam Cooke would say………… It’s been a long time coming but I know change gone come……. oh yes it is.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think they will make an awesome President & First Lady! I am ready for the change.