Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Lost Art Professinalism

I am having a dilemma at work and it is getting on my last nerve. One of my co-workers is so relaxed at work that he calls me "shortie". He'll walk past my desk and say " Is everything okay shortie, how you doing shortie". Let me tell you, that sh*t burns me up. Of course he is a young black man, who I feel does not appreciate his position or stature at work.

Our office dress code is business casual, but ole boy shows up to work with sports jerseys and jordans damn near everyday. If he doesn't wear that he will break out with the extra baggy jeans and extra extra long shirt.

When he is not calling me "shortie" he is butchering other co-workers name. For example, if your name was nicole, he'll start calling you nik-nik. One co-worker rolls her eyes every time he butchers her name.

To make matters worse, this dude thinks he is phyne... he is okay but phyne he is not. But he is constantly out of his seat trolling the building for women. He will tell my department that he is leaving to discuss a matter with billing. He'll be gone for 20-30 minutes and someone will say... ole dude is in the lobby cheesing up in some woman's face. Don't get me wrong he does work... just not as much as everyone else in the group.

These type of people also want to be seen as a person with a wealth on knowledge.
Everytime we are in a meeting or the big boss comes along here his azz go running his mouth like he knows what he is talking about, trying to represent the group and someone has to shut him up before he makes everyone look stupid.

I know the person that hired him and she assures me that he did well in the interview and seemed to have all the right answers. She feels she took a hit on her character for hiring him. Her words were, "I was bamboozled".

I love my job and I fought hard to get this promotion. My department was created to resolve specialized company issues. I was shocked that they hired an all black team to head this department. But I was happy they placed their trust in us to resolve the company's issues. I want to help the man because he is a young brother... but he just does not get it.

My co-workers and I have had meeting with him to discuss some of this issues.. but it is like talking to a brick wall. At this point I don't know what to do.. got any suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If the company/group/everybody has talked to him it is now time to take action. He should get in writing a list of what is expected of him. This includes dress, names, etc. In writing, it should say he will be FIRED if he cannot adhere to the professional standards of the company. If he doesn't modify himself - then FIRE him. He apparently wants to work elsewhere.