Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Why Your White Neighbors Are Moving




I was browsing the web and came across a study done by Du Bois Review: Social Science Research on Race. Researchers at the University of Illinois, Chicago and the University of Michigan surveyed a large representative sample of households in Chicago and Detroit. As part of this highly innovative study, every participant was handed a laptop and was asked to view a series of video clips showing different neighborhoods. The set of neighborhoods remained constant. But the video was altered to manipulate their make up, to show either whites populating the neighborhood, or blacks or a mixed-race population.


The study sought to determine was "whether whites are colorblind in their evaluations of neighborhoods or whether racial composition still matters—even when holding constant the quality of the neighborhood." The results clearly show that whites rated the neighborhood much more favorably when whites dominated the make-up. And the more negative the stereotypes a white individual held of African Americans generally, the more likely they were to negatively rate the identical neighborhood with a visible black presence.

I am not surprised by the results, although in many cities gentrification is taking place everyday. St. Louis is a very segregated town and many of the best areas are populated with a majority of white people. The sad thing to me is when black people get a little money they follow the white people. The study found that blacks did judge schools to be of higher quality in mixed-race and all-white neighborhoods. I often wondered if black people could imagine a beautiful, safe and productive all black neighborhood. Would my people still value an all black neighborhood if there were no white folks in site or would it been seen as another ghetto, regardless of class or income.

What aggravates me even further is “white flight”. When too many black people move in a neighborhood white people begin to slowly but surely move out . Yet some of us continue to chase them…hoping to happily co-exist. Personally I would love to live in a productive all black neighborhood. I would love my kids to attend an all black school, with great funding and teachers that care. But I know this can never happen until blacks have a change of mind set, black home ownership increase, and we begin demanding a better education for our kids. Just for the record I am not a segregationist , but I would like to see black people place value in one another. White is not always right ya know.

3 comments:

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hello there!

The issue is not CHASING white people... the issue has to do with quality of life.

I don't see women walking through my white neighborhood with booty shorts screaming at their children and screaming into their cell phones and screaming "hey pookie!!" at cars that passby.

I don't see mentally ill people stumbling around the streets.

I don't see black men standing in the door ways of businesses leering at women and making vulgar comments.

I don't see half-painted signs in front of businesses and raggedy exteriors of buildings.

I don't see boarded up buildings and condemned houses.

These things are ALL commonly seen in all-black neighborhoods in economically depressed areas.

I walk into a fast food restaurant in my suburb and I do not encounter someone who speaks with messed up subject/verb agreement taking my order with an attitude.

When the police are called, they SHOW UP. There are numerous times when 911 calls are ignored in all-black neighborhoods.

There are cabs that freely drive through the area looking for customers...in most MAJOR cities, there are cabs who refuse to pick up blacks that they ASSUME live in an all-black section of town.

These issues have nothing to do with "let's chase the white people". The issue is "let's find a living environment that provides the best quality of life".

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Greetings! I don't know if you have seen this, but after reading your blog post, I wanted to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJa_SPfs1o

and this is part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZyguIXJ1Fk&feature=related

and part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRlmA4GAdE0&feature=related

There are parts 4, 5, and if you watch the first parts on YouTube, you will find them too!

Take care~

Unknown said...

Girl...Lisa needs to get a life. You can get a stupid, ignorant white chic giggling and acting silly in the surburbs. Black folks are not the only ones ignorant at times. Pinktoes too.

I agree..I wish we had more self love and stay with our own kind sometimes.