Saturday, November 29, 2008

Holiday Dress Debacle

I think I am having a mental breakdown relating to weight issues. Over the last 4-5 years I have gain some serious weight. Most of the weight was put on due to depression, not to mention I love rich chocolaty deserts. Any who, over the 4-5 years I've managed to pack on 60 additional pounds. I know it did not happen over night but now that it has happened I really feel upset about the whole situation.


For the first time in my life I feel like I was discriminated for being overweight. Now I am a bit insecure with my weight so I may be over reacting, but we all know in most cases what we perceive and feel become real....regardless if it's true or not. So last week my job had it's annual holiday bash and I wanted to look as cute as possible. I went to Macy's to find a semi-formal holiday/cocktail dress. I went up to the first sales lady and asked her where I could find a semi-formal cocktail dress, she looked at me briefly and said, "You need to go down stairs". Now I came in down stairs and I did not see any clothes on that floor. I figured the lady was confused so I asked another sales lady the same question. She said, "What size are you looking for", feeling a bit embarrassed I replied, " Um.... size 16 will be fine" she said, "You'll find what you are looking for down stairs."


So I decided I would go back down the escalator because maybe I missed something coming in. I got a panoramic view of the floor coming down the escalator and all I see is stoves, refrigerators, Christmas trees, power tools and washing machines. I wonder around and in a small dimly lit section next to the refrigerator section there appear to be an area with clothes. I ask the sales lady, " Where are your semi-formal dresses", again she ask, "what size do you wear?" With a tinge of frustration I let her know that I wear a size 16. She then says, "All the dresses we have in that size are on the back wall." I turn around and see about 6 dresses on the wall, of course they were all ugly, frumpy and down right horrible looking.


I was pissed. I yelled this is Macy's damn it...all y'all got in the whole fucking Macy's in a size 16 is six dresses. You gotta be kidding, not to mention the plus size section is in the basement next to a damn Frigidaire. Needless, to say I stormed off feeling less than beautiful...fat and did I say pissed off.

Not to worry I found a dress but I had to look at quite a few dress,at quite a few stores before I found it. I just don't understand why people seem to think that overweight people are less than human, like we don't have any money to spend. Or worst than that, if we spend our money we will take whatever we can get. The design or fit doesn't matter.


I will be doing a few post of my weight loss mission so expect a few more posting regarding this issue. Because as much as I love to eat I have to lose the weight. It won't be easy.....but yall gonna hear all about it

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your pain.. I am a size 16. I been a size 16 for years. I recently lost 41lbs. I am still a size 16. I never had trouble finding clothes though. I think it is wrong. They always think we suppose to dress like some old woman. I normally don't shop at those stores. I am a Old Navy and Ashely Stewart kinda woman. I also love Torrids...

Unknown said...

LMAO you got issues. No the weight didn't come over night so you won't lose it over night. You need to monitor your portions. If you get serious about your body...it will get serious with you. I keep telling you. One day you will listen.