Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Is Dark Skin Back In?




Well if you read The Root or listen to News and Notes they will lead you to believe that Michelle Obama has single handily made it cool to be a dark skinned sistah. Being a chocolaty sistah myself…I some what find this offensive. Hell I never knew I was an outcast or no longer stylish.

I must admit there were times I struggled with being the darkest person in my family; I never had a problem attracting men.

The root article stated..



Gotta love the brothers who show their affection for the dark-skinned girls, even if they are hollering out the window of a passing car.
Gotta love it even more when the brother is the president, and the object of his affection is front and center for the world to see.
If a black president represents change, a dark-skinned first lady is straight-up revolutionary


News and Notes discussed how having a dark skinned first lady will change the perception of dark skinned African American women…………. To that I say really


I see nothing wrong with people having preferences, because I do. But we as a people have allowed other cultures and influences to tell us what is beautiful. African Americans are dynamic and come in a wide variety to shades to bright yellow to blue ebony. Yet we show the world that closer we get to looking African the uglier we think we are.

I love Michelle Obama and I believe that she can have a positive effect on women and young girls of all colors. While she has broken barriers and accomplished many great things………myself esteem, value and worth as a dark skinned black woman does not rest on her shoulders.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I’ve learned what’s one man piece of shit… is another man’s fertilizer.

No comments: