Thursday, October 28, 2010

For Colored Girls




I had to an opportunity to see the theatrical adaptation of Ntozake Shange choreopoem For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf. I have never read the book and only recently took interest when Tyler Perry started to advertise for his film adaptation of the choreopoem. I was blown away by the play; it tapped in to all of my emotions. I was happy, sad, proud, torn, depressed, regretful and enraged. The play took my emotions on a roller coaster ride. Each charter reminded me of something I may have experienced in my past.

To me the play represented the plight of many women. How sometimes we knowing share a man, how we stay with a man that mistreats us and beat us, how we flaunt the perfectness of relationships in the face of other women and how the scars of rape can debilitate a woman to her core.

I cried and laughed during the play. However, I did leave thinking about all the time I wasted with people who meant me no good. How long I stayed in relationships that were worthless. I wonder how Tyler Perry’s adaptation will stand up to the play. Based on his previous movies I must admit I am a little worried. If he pulls this off he may be asked to direct more movies that he did not write himself. If it is a failure he can count on writing some more Madea movies.

The play was beautiful; I hope the movie is too. Have you ever read the book or seen the play? If so what was your thoughts?

No comments: