Thursday, October 28, 2010

Target and Plus Size





I was recently emailed a petition to sign. It was petitioning Target to increase the selection of plus sized women clothing. The petition stated the following…


To: Target Corporation
Dear Target,

Each season, you skillfully and beautifully execute exclusive designer collaborations and partnerships with leading fashion designers. As plus size women, we are oft neglected, overlooked and always sized out of your collections.

Why?

We have money to spend as much as our straight sized sisters do. We love to look just as fabulous as the other Fashionistas, yet you neglect to even think of us in the equation. We fawn over the Zac Posen for Target, and strategically finagle through the cuts that could pass on our curves; salaciously we look as each fantastic and highly coveted collaboration passes us along- due to you ignoring our thirst and hunger for fashion.

Why?

Therefore, I, Marie Denee of The Curvy Fashionista, Patrice of Afrobella, and Sarah of Style It Online have come together with our followers and the fa(t)shionistas within the plus size community to request, demand, and call for an inclusion of and/or special designer collaborations for the plus size fa(t)shionistas.
Sincerely,


The Undersigned


Of course I signed the petition because I love Target ……….but the plus size collection sucks! ¾ of the floor is filled with misses and “regular” sized clothes. ¼ of the sales floor is split between maternity and plus sized clothing. Actually it hard to tell the difference between maternity and plus size because they all look hideous. The “regular” sized clothing represents all the latest fashion trends and sometimes they get high end designers to actually design a line. Waymart has a better plus size section than Target. Could it be that increasing plus size clothing options would ruin Target’s branding? We all know they are the priciest big box retail store. Some folks call them Tar΄ jhet (Tarjay) very French and fo-fo store. But I love Target. I love the accessories for my home and the fact that it is always clean, well lit and have the latest trendy stuff. As a matter of fact I have loved Target since I was a little girl. We rarely shopped at Target but when we did I would run around the store saying “I want this, I want that and this too”. Now as an adult I can’t get any good clothes from Target. They tease me as I walk pass the misses section and see skinny jeans, fitted tees, beautiful cardigans, professional work wear and the most beautiful dresses. I walk over to the plus size and I see a bunch moo-moo’s and very unstylish items. Considered there is only 4-5 racks the options are very limited. If you feel the same way please sign the petition.


http://www.petitiononline.com/plus9231/petition.html

No comments: