Thursday, December 13, 2007

Crack vs Cocaine


I’ve discussed the disparity in the sentence structure involving crack cocaine and powered cocaine. It’s no secret that black people tend to get caught the crack and white people tend to deal with the powder. I hate, detest, dislike, loathe and abhor all drug dealers. If it was my decision they would all be sentenced to work in sweat shops in China, used years of indentured servitude. Although I am repulsed by drug dealers they deserve to be treated fairly, regardless of what type of drug they are selling. With that in mind, The Sentencing Commission recently changed the guidelines to reduce the disparity in prison time for distributing crack verses distributing powdered cocaine. New guidelines took effect Nov. 1 after Congress took no action to overturn the change.


Monday's Supreme Court ruling grew out of a decision three years ago in which the justices ruled that judges need not strictly follow the sentencing guidelines. Instead, appellate courts would review sentences for reasonableness, although the court has since struggled to define what it meant by that term. See this is where shit is going to get shaky, because the racist judges have a problem to defining the term “reasonableness”. Now these lower court judges have been lawyers at some point in their careers, went to law school and attended college yet a simple word like reasonableness confuses them. I need a promotion, let me be a damn judge. I am sure that all that is needed is some damn common sense. Why would I send Tyrone to Rickers Island for 15 years when he only got caught with 5 rocks? I would give’em 3 years, that’s reasonable right?
Justice Clarence Thomas, said that after Monday's decisions, "Sentencing disparities will gradually increase." The court's decision and the Sentencing Commission's change in the guidelines leave untouched the minimum sentences, which only Congress can alter.
Sorry Uncle Tom I just don’t buy that this move will cause a decrease in sentencing disparities. However, I do believe that this change in the guidelines will offer hope to many dope peddlers in terms of sentencing structures. Instead of Tyrone getting 15 years for 5 rocks he will get 10 years. Listen… as long as the judges in these cases are mainly white, and view black men as vicious animals that need to be caged there will always be a disparity. I will not go into my rant about the way the world view black men, but it does play apart in everything from employment, credit, judicial sentence structure, being pulled over and education just to name a few
This change in the guidelines could cut prison time for as many as 19,500 federal inmates convicted of crack crimes. So your local dealer may be coming home sooner than expected.



2 comments:

Debo Blue said...

Rant girl! Scream and holla! This is your blog so you can say whatever the heck you want without having to be PC.

Of course if you become more famous this can be held against you but hey, bad press can be better than good press. Ask Don Imus.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This blog post couldn't be written any better!
Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
He always kept preaching about this. I most certainly will
forward this article to him. Pretty sure he's going to have a very good
read. I appreciate you for sharing!

my homepage - quit smoking cigarette, painless stop smoking cure review