Thursday, January 24, 2008

Broken Black Men

My love for black men is eternal. In this lifetime or the next, it is unimaginable to envision myself with anyone outside of a black man. However, it breaks my heart to know that some of our men have lost their position as African Kings and took on the role as predators. As many of you probably know last week in Indianapolis a killing left two women and their infant children dead. Gina Hunt and Andrea Yarrell, both 24, and Hunt's 23-month-old son Jordan, died at the scene. Yarrell's four-month-old girl, Charlii, was pronounced dead at 1:33 a.m. after being transported in critical condition with multiple gunshot wounds to Methodist Hospital. These beautiful babies were shot while their mothers held on to them for dear life. When I heard about this incident I hoped against all odds that the people that committed this heinous crime were not black, especially not black men. Unfortunately hope was not enough and it is believed that Ronald Davis pulled the trigger that took four lives. Two of his co-defendants, Donte Hobson and Jasper Frazier made statements placing the murder weapon in Davis’ hand the night of Jan. 14.


It is sad to admit the truth, but in most cases if a black person is the victim of murder, robbery, rape, theft, or any other crime you can think of ….8 times out of 10 their perpetrator(s) will be another black person. We have become our own worst enemy, so many devalue the life of their people. The blame could be laid at the feet of the economy, drug addiction, poor parenting, poverty, lost of morals, and many other stupid reasons. But, I wonder what turns a person heart so cold that killing babies without regret or remorse becomes an acceptable practice. In many cases the victims live in similar circumstances as their perpetrator(s). These thugs are no Robin Hood, they don’t go to the rich neighborhoods and take from those that have more, no they terrorize people right there in their communities. Please, do not think that I am advocating hurting anyone regardless of their economic standing, but why hurt people that are just like you? As a matter of fact, why hurt people at all?

The very black men that I have been taught to love, is the very men that are terrifying our communities. What happened to the black man that would work 2-3 jobs to take care of his family, the black man that would rather die than to see his family suffer, the black man who shielded and protected his family at all cost and the black man that was the backbone of his community? Why has that black man become the minority and the suspected killer become the majority? Don’t believe me check the crime rate in your local area.


People tell me I should not let the media make me believe that black men are all criminals, but the truth is it is blacks killing blacks. Whites are scared of Osama and we are scared of Tyrone on the corner. Trust me… I know that all black me do not fall in the category of criminal minded serial killers, but hearing about stories like this day after day kinda makes me yearn for a the old school black man like my Granddaddy. As I get ready to move back to St. Louis (which was #1 in violent crimes in 2007) all I can think about is my safety. Of course, to live in the safer areas the rent is twice as much and the requirements are twice as high. I’m no fool, I know no one and nothing can guarantee your safety but I am becoming very conscience of the crime rate in conjunction to where I lay my head.

This case makes me happy that most states still believe in the death penalty. So if Ronald Davis, Donte Hobson and Jasper Frazier are found guilty hope they get the electric chair for their crimes. I think they should start using the death penalty more frequently and start executing these losers at a faster rate. I’m sure the crime rate would drop dramatically. Anyway….. my heart and prayers go out to the family of the deceased.

2 comments:

HeyShae! said...

This post is excellent. I have wondered for years what has become of the Black man... I know why he's angry, but why is he so angry at himself and others that look like him? It's a question I may never get answered, but I wish many more would think before they act and/or react with violence.

Current Public News said...

Crack did it. Crack changed everything. The man was broken, the woman was paralyzed, and the child suffered because of it. A few of us, and even though we don't want to admit (it is only a few of us who have made it and are really middle class)are fortunate to be privileged enough to not have had to deal with those circumstances, but it is literally a war zone out there on the streets, a battle to survive. The ambitions of these men are funneled into stepping on each other because they have no tools to step out in general, corporate america to compete.