Monday, September 17, 2007

Calling It How I See It


People seem to be amazed at all the hatred and prejudice that still exist in America. But come on, really are we as a community really shocked at the racial intolerance lurking under the surface of America. The United States has been touted as “the melting pot” of the world, filled with opportunities as far as the eye can see. My response to that is yeah right. Although many people don’t see themselves as blatant racist, I know that I’m a racist. Yes I said it, I am a racist born and bred in America. Most of my life I’ve lived in the Mid-West, where racial segregation is accepted and white is often considered right. While I know all white people are not horrible people, I’ve been taught to secretly hate them and be on the look out for mistreatment. In my neighborhood white people were suspects, they were either 5-0, undercover cops, Politian’s, reporters or developers. It has never been said but I was subconsciously taught that when I am on an interview or handling important business it is always a good practice to “sound white”. I am not just talking about speaking correct English, I am referring to a change in the tone of the voice. Let’s face it, most of us have been taught to fear or hate other races and ethnicities. It has been entrenched in the minds of black people that discrimination is not an “if” thing, it’s a “when” thing. Discrimination is viewed as a semi- accepted practice that will enviably occur to every black person no matter how miniscule. Because of this we often are not shocked by the racial imbalance that is so deeply rooted in the culture of our country. The situation in Jena, LA is very extreme and racism often does not present itself in such a cut and dry way. However, what about the disparity in education based on the location of the school , the lack of consistent police presence in high crime areas, or the abundance of community services in areas that produce high tax dollars. These discrepancies of services represent racial discrimination based on financial class. Think of one place where racial discrimination does not exist , if you were thinking the church think again and read the following obtained from the South Carolina Gazette…



Three white men who recently performed at a Gaston County church function dressed in “blackface” while they pantomimed traditional black hymns did so to honor gospel music history, said the pastor of Pilgrim Baptist Church. “It was in no way making fun,” said Thomas Holbrooks Jr., pastor of the church on Beaty Road. “Lord knows we love the old spirituals they sing. That’s why they did it.”


Local black leaders, including Gaston County NAACP president Clyde Walker and David Moore, said members of Pilgrim Baptist should have celebrated black gospel music without wearing black makeup. “I have no problem with anyone that wants to sing black music, but to pretend that you’re a black person when you’re not a black person seems to be more of a mockery than a celebration,” said Moore, who is the president of the Gaston County Organization for Community Concerns. The organization is a non-profit working to improve the quality of life for local minorities.
Stephen York, a South Carolina resident who attends Pilgrim Baptist and used to teach school there, said he dressed in overalls, a flannel shirt and painted his face black as part of a skit for the church’s Mother-Daughter Banquet on the weekend before Mother’s Day. The group lip-synched to prerecorded hymns performed by black singers.


Teresa Holbrooks, the pastor’s wife, said church members were told to dress like Americans in the 19th century for the Mother’s Day event. The program also included other members of the church lip-synching with gospel music by white artists including Loretta Lynn and Randy Travis. She said the black face costumes were her idea. “A little tiny blonde woman sang Randy Travis. So I guess Randy Travis should be offended,” Teresa Holbrooks said. “My husband pantomimed playing the piano. So I guess the piano should be offended.”


So my theory is we all can use a little racial adjustment. Black people are not going back to Africa, White people are not going back to Europe, Mexicans are not going back to Mexico and basically we are all here to stay. I am working on my racial issues by attending a multi-racial church and I also have a white roommate. Although I sometimes refer to white people as “crackers”, “honkeys” and other colorful epithets, I do desire to know them better. In a later post I will be addressing what I am learning about the Caucasian culture and if or how my views are changing. I am hoping that by going to church and praising God with different ethnicities will help me see people as just people and not this group or that group. It is my plan to really try and change those charter flaws that does not allow me to grow in a way that is not pleasing to God. Understand, I will still be me, but a better me. I am not trying to be a “holy roller” or a religion fanatic , but I do want to be a person of good charter and integrity. This will surely be an exciting and hilarious journey so stay tuned. Also on another note , I have a correspondent going to the Jena 6 rally so look forward to a post about that as well.

1 comment:

Scott72 said...

I like youe blog...believe it or not, the pastor and his wife are my parents. I live in Los Angeles though. Just a little follow up on your story, they left the church and moved to another state 6 months after that story broke.