Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering 9/11


Today marks the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks and for me it’s still a bit sad. That day in 2001 was a very very bad day for me to begin with because I got laid off that morning. I had just purchased my first house and bought a new car. My boss called me to his office and told me today would be my last day. This was one of my first jobs out of college and I enjoyed my new lifestyle. I spent money like it was growing on trees, thinking I would have plenty of time to start my savings account. I left work early because I needed to go home to thank and drank. I needed to figure out how I was gonna make the next mortgage and car payment, cause I was living check to check. I kept a bottle of cognac in the freezer for those days that required de-stressing and an altered state of reality. After sitting on my couch getting smashed I went into my bedroom to lie down and turned on the television as background noise. As I drifted off to sleep I heard that planes hit the World Trade Center and the planes had been hijacked. Due to excessive amounts of alcohol consumption when I woke up I thought it was all a bad dream. Oh how I wish it just a bad dream, when I discovered that I had not dreamt the attacks but it really happened I was glued to the TV for three days straight (remember no job) and I kept crying and praying, praying and crying (with occasional trips to the liquor store, because I was not ready to accept the attack on America AND my job loss). I was an emotional wreck yet I could not stop watching the news coverage. Watching those people searching for family members, people jumping out of the tower windows, survivors covered in ash I felt like I was right there suffering with them. It felt like my family had been personally attacked and my heart was heavy with grief. In three days I had become a drunk who was depressed over the loss of my job and 9/11. On the fourth day my cousin thought it was best to come over and pry the Courvoisier out of my hands and get me out the house. I was so happy when Busch said we were going after the terrorists that attacked our country. At the time I thought it was a good decision, because I was ready to open a can of whoop ass on them mofos. In spite of this, I never thought in a million years that we would still be fighting this war, in a country that did not attack us, and killing a man that had nothing to do with the attack on American lives. (I’ll save that rant for another day)

I would like this whole 9/11 situation to come full circle, I got a new job and gave up drinking Courvoisier, now all we gotta do is bring the troops home. Let’s never forget the brave people that lost their lives on 9/11.

No comments: