Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Life After A Three Day Weekend

Coming back to work after a three day weekend always sucks! Today is really slow and boring; the guy in the next cubicle keeps quoting Seinfeld and old Lucy and Ricardo lines. Yes, this is the type of crap I have to put up with while working in a diverse environment. I am convinced that ole boy is going to do a Timothy McVey and blow us all up when he can no longer take it anymore. He is very sensitive, fidgety, and always thinks people are out to get em. I tried to tell my boss that ole dude was crazy but she didn’t pay me any attention (they never do, until they are facing the wrong end of a 9mm). At this very moment he is singing that old 80’s song A-E-I-O, and sometimes Y. Then if that was not enough I gotta deal with my other co-worker that talks about her baby 24/7. Hell she has built a shrine to the chile on her desk and the shared file cabinets. There are literally photos everywhere and we are subjected to nonstop talk about what’s new with the baby. I have heard everything from the first words to the bowel movement schedule. Most of the time I want to tell them both to shut the hell up. Then as if I was not aggravated enough they have the air on blast and it’s very cold up in here. Needless to say I got my heater on and the window open to warm up my corner of the office. Those people (Caucasians) are always hot regardless of how cool it is outside. Then last but not least, one of the directors is always walking around here speaking Spanish to the Hispanic co-workers. He comes into the office and says Hi in English to all the English speaking people and then immediately goes into Spanish with his fellow immigrants. Now this type of sh*t pisses me off. I don’t give a damn what you speak at home or in private but to blatantly only speak in Spanish consistently at work is just wrong. Before everyone gets their panties in a bunch I have no problems with Hispanics. I just feel that if you must have a conversation in Spanish (with people that are actually bi-lingual) in front of people that don’t speak Spanish then maybe its best just to talk with that person in private.

I believe in dressing professional regardless of the work I perform. I have always been taught to dress towards your goal not your situation. So when I first started in customer service I would dress like I was the damn CEO. I believe people must be able to visualize you in key positions before you can be promoted. With all that in mind I can count on someone asking me at least once a week “why are you so dressed up”. I look crazy all weekend, but I try to look professional going to work. Professional dress adds to a person’s credibility, which can lead to advancement. I won’t complain too much because this job pays good money and I really don’t have to work too hard and I really appreciate the promotion but damn I didn’t think I would be working with the two most irritating and aggravating co-workers in my history of co-workers. But I aint no fool, I’ma get this good money, get another promotion and keep it moving. Hopefully, my next assignment will include better co-workers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog sis, keep it up. I only discovered it last week after tiring of the regular boards discussing celebrities, their babies.... I will start commenting on the content soon.
blondie